*This lasagne has no rules! Use ground or chopped meat, or eggs, or bacon or none or all! Lots of cheese or just a little or leave it out, and any canned sauce you have on hand works perfectly. No chopping veggies needed; and any shaped pasta will do!
- 1 lb chopped or crumbled ground pork, beef, chicken, turkey, bacon or sausage, or 4-6 large eggs
- 1 Tbs olive/other vegetable oil
- 12 oz dried pasta (broken lasagne noodles or any other shape)
- 1/2 can diced/ground tomatoes with liquid
- 2 cans (14-16 oz each) pasta sauce
- 1/2 cup water (plus extra, if needed)
- 1 cup grated cheese such as mozzarella or cheddar (if unavailable, leave it out!)
- *sprinkle of herbs, pepper, Parmesan, hot pepper flakes is great but not necessary!
- if using ground or chopped meat, season with salt and pepper, if desired and brown lightly in oil in a large, deep skillet (one that has a tight-fitting lid for later) over medium low heat until cooked through, crumbling as it cooks. *if using bacon, remove crisp, crumbled bacon at this point and set aside until end. ** if using eggs, begin at second step
- add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and water to skillet, combine well and bring to simmer. ** if using eggs, crack in carefully, at this point, spacing a bit apart from each other, then proceed to next step
- add broken lasagne noodles/dried pasta of choice to skillet, carefully, and press noodles down gently with back of spoon to fully immerse under sauce
- cover and simmer on medium-low heat for about 10-15 mins, then check doneness of noodles with a knife. If pasta is not fully cooked yet, add 1/4 cup more water, cover and cook another 3-5 mins
- When cooked fully, remove from heat, sprinkle with grated cheese, cover and let melt about 3-5 mins then serve!