Extra-Crispy Whole-Grain French Toast & Extra-Crispy Whole-Grain French Toast. Kick up the crunch (and the good-for-you factor!) with a few tweaks on a family breakfast classic!
- 2-4 Tbsp vegetable oil or butter/margarine, divided (plus butter for serving, if desired)
- 6 slices whole grain/whole wheat bread (or any other type such as white or egg bread)
- 3 eggs (medium, large, extra large are all fine) ~ 1/2 cup milk (non-dairy is fine, or, use 1/4 c evaporated milk mixed with 1/4 cup water)
- 2 cups cornflakes, slightly crushed (or try bran flakes, multigrain flakes or even frosted flakes!) Plus add any or all of these optional flavourings:
- 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1 tsp table/maple syrup, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, pinch pumpkin pie spice or nutmeg, or even a spoonful of vanilla pudding!
- Pancake/table/maple syrup OR your favourite jam, heated slightly, if desired, to drizzle for serving
- Fresh fruit, sautéed ham/smoked turkey slices, bacon, etc. If desired, for serving
- In a rimmed dish, whisk together eggs, milk, and flavourings. Place crushed flakes into another dish.
- Heat large, non-stick sautée pan over medium-low heat. Once hot, add a drizzle of oil or small pat of butter/margarine. Dip bread first into egg mixture then into flakes, pressing slightly. Sauté about 2-3 mins per side/until nicely golden, repeating until all slices are done. Serve with warm jam or syrup and with accompaniments suggested above, if desired.