The Great GBB “Pizzatta”Part pizza, part frittata, and totally irresistible!
Think outside the pizza box! This quick and simple pizza-frittata hybrid is perfect for those times that you have a homemade pizza craving but want to skip all the fuss (and waiting!) that comes with making a traditional yeast-leavened dough. Eggs are the secret here which makes this crust super-quick to prepare and reminiscent of an ultra-thin Yorkshire pudding. Another “eggcellent” bonus is that the crust comes with the added benefit of having extra vitamins and
🍕 ~Makes 1 Medium Pizzatta (6 slices)~🍕
Download the PDF Version of The Great GBB Pizzatta
- 1 cup flour, all purpose or whole wheat (plus a tablespoon more or a sprinkling of cornmeal for dusting pan after oiling)
- 1-2 tsps any oil/margarine
- 1/2 tsp salt 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup milk (unflavoured dairy-free works fine, or, 1/3 cup evaporated milk mixed with 1/3 cup water)
- 1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella (or other cheese such as havarti, cheddar or dairy-free)
- 1/2 cup prepared, tomato-based pizza/pasta sauce, your favourite brand and flavour
- Desired toppings such as: Cooked, crumbled sausage or ground beef (or veggie ground), chopped deli meats, pepperoni, sliced olives, diced pineapple, hot banana peppers or thinly sliced veggies such as mushrooms, onion/bell pepper, etc.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees for at least 15 minutes
Grease a 9 x 13 “ rimmed baking pan well with oil (sides, too), then coat with about 1 Tbsp flour or cornmeal by shaking it around the oiled pan, ensuring you get into corners, too
In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, 1 cup flour, salt & milk until just smooth (no need to add certain ingredients first; it can really just get all mixed up together - easy peasy!). Your dough will resemble pancake batter - don’t worry, you didn’t do anything wrong, trust me!
Pour batter into prepared pan and use a spoon to gently spread it out into all corners without scraping the bottom of the pan. Bake in preheated oven about 15-20 mins/until just lightly golden *NOTE: It will puff up like crazy! Don’t panic, it’s fine!
Use a large spatula to gently loosen the base and flip it in the pan so the bottom of the crust becomes the top. It will brown more evenly this way and again, don’t worry, it will be a bit wrinkly-looking once it deflates and this is completely normal. Spread with desired amount of sauce, sprinkle with cheese and any prepared toppings you desire. Return to oven and bake about 10-20 mins more/until outer edges of crust are nicely coloured and cheese and toppings are golden & melty. Note that more toppings means a longer second bake. It will puff up again, but by now I hope you’ll trust me that it’s normal and the swelling will go down once removed from the oven! Let cool a bit (if you can!) then slice and serve.