Extra-Crispy Whole-Grain French Toast
Kick up the crunch (and the good-for-you factor!) with a few tweaks on a family breakfast classic!
Makes 6 Slices
Ham & Cheese-Topped Finger-Lickin’ Chicken
The whole family will love this extra-crunchy take on an old-school favourite, chicken cordon bleu! Serve with your favourite side dish and veggies for an easy yet extraordinary meal that everyone will think took you all day to prepare!
Download the PDF Version of Cooking with Cornflakes
EXTRA-CRISPY WHOLE-GRAIN FRENCH TOAST
Makes 6 Slices
- 2-4 Tbsp vegetable oil or butter/margarine, divided (plus butter for serving, if desired)
- 6 slices whole grain/whole wheat bread (or any other type such as white or egg bread)
- 3 eggs (medium, large, extra large are all fine) ~ 1/2 cup milk (non-dairy is fine, or, use 1/4 c evaporated milk mixed with 1/4 cup water)
- 2 cups cornflakes, slightly crushed (or try bran flakes, multigrain flakes or even frosted flakes!) Plus add any or all of these optional flavourings:
- 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1 tsp table/maple syrup, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, pinch pumpkin pie spice or nutmeg, or even a spoonful of vanilla pudding!
- Pancake/table/maple syrup OR your favourite jam, heated slightly, if desired, to drizzle for serving
- Fresh fruit, sautéed ham/smoked turkey slices, bacon, etc. If desired, for serving
In a rimmed dish, whisk together eggs, milk, and flavourings. Place crushed flakes into another dish.
Heat large, non-stick sautée pan over medium-low heat. Once hot, add a drizzle of oil or small pat of butter/margarine. Dip bread first into egg mixture then into flakes, pressing slightly. Sauté about 2-3 mins per side/until nicely golden, repeating until all slices are done. Serve with warm jam or syrup and with accompaniments suggested above, if desired.
HAM & CHEESE-TOPPED FINGER-LICKIN’ CHICKEN
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken (breasts or thighs, remove bones yourself if need be) - about 2 breasts or 6-8 thighs - slice breasts once, horizontally, to make a total of 4, semi-flat slices. For thighs, pound slightly with a can or meat mallet just to flatten. Boneless Pork chops can be used also
4 cups cornflakes, coarsely crushed (say that 5x fast!)
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup milk (plain dairy-free is fine, OR use 1/4 cup evaporated milk + 1/4 cup water
4 slices deli ham, chicken or turkey
1 cup shredded cheddar (or any other cheese you have on hand)
Pinches of each, salt and pepper
2 Tbsp vegetable oil/butter/margarine, melted, plus more for greasing tray
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a baking tray with a little oil/butter/margarine. Beat eggs with milk. Place crushed cornflakes in a dish large enough to easily coat chicken.
- Sprinkle chicken with a little salt and pepper, then dip each piece, first into egg mixture, then crumbs. Place on prepared baking tray. Use a brush to gently dab oil/melted butter onto coating
- Bake 20-30 mins/until done, then top with equal amounts of cheese and ham. Bake 5 mins more.