- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves garlic or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 lb ground beef (or turkey)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper sauce
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 to 16 oz) red kidney beans, undrained
- 1 can (15 to 16 oz) mixed beans, drained/rinsed (*optional)
- Peel and chop the onion to measure 1 cup.
- Peel and finely chop the garlic.
- In a 3-quart saucepan, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beef is thoroughly cooked. Drain excess fat/oil.
- Into the beef, stir the chili powder, oregano, cumin, salt, pepper sauce and tomatoes with their liquid.
- Heat the mixture to boiling over high heat. Once mixture is boiling, reduce heat just enough so mixture bubbles gently. Cover with lid; cook 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the kidney beans with their liquid (add mixed beans - drained/rinsed, if desired). Heat to boiling over high heat. Once mixture is boiling, reduce heat just enough so mixture bubbles gently. Cook uncovered about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until desired thickness.
Prep Time: 30 Mins
Cook Time: 1 hour 50 minutes
Recipe & Photo Credit: https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/chili/c7df2894-907a-4309-a7f9-6e6f5a6c730d