The Georgetown Bread Basket will provide or facilitate, with partners, the acquisition and distribution of food, primarily nutritious, to those in need.”
The Georgetown Bread Basket will be recognized as a leader, individually or as a member of an integrated service group, in providing values based services, primarily food to those in hunger in the community.”
The Georgetown Bread Basket was started in November 1996 and incorporated as a registered charity with Canada Customs and Revenue Agency in July 1997. We are here to feed the hungry in our community and to provide a stop gap solution only. We wish there was no need for a Food Bank in Georgetown, or anywhere.
We operate via a volunteer Board of up to twelve directors, which meets monthly to plan operations and food drives. All board members work regularly at the food bank facility alongside our many community volunteers. Together they put in over 3000 hours of volunteer time per year.
ROLE OF THE GEORGETOWN BREAD BASKET
- To provide an opportunity for the more fortunate to share.
- To form a network of sponsors and individuals that work together to meet the basic needs for food.
- To provide an efficient system of food collection from churches, individuals, groups and food suppliers.
- To operate a central facility for the storage of food collected.
- To take an active role in educating the public about the needs of the hungry in their community.
- To affiliate with provincial and national food bank associations in an effort to share and distribute food and information related to poverty.
- To encourage clients to participate in the operation of the Georgetown Bread Basket.
Member, Ontario Association of Food Banks and Food Banks Canada
Charitable Business # 881229561RR0001
Ethical Foodbanking Code
Everyone in Canada has the right to:
Physical & economic access, at all times, to sufficient, safe and nutritious food which meets their dietary needs and food preferences.
At the Georgetown Bread Basket, we will strive to:
- Provide food and other assistance to those needing help regardless of race, national or ethnic origin, citizenship, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, income source, age or mental or physical disability.
- Treat all those who access services with the utmost dignity and respect.
- Implement best practices in the proper and safe storage and handling of food.
- Respect the privacy of those served and will maintain the confidentiality of personal information.
- Not require payment of any kind for donated food or consumer products, at any time, from those assisted by their respective programs
- Acquire and share food in a spirit of cooperation with other food banks and food programs.
- Strive to make the public aware of the existence of hunger and of the factors that contribute to it.
- Recognize that food banks are not a viable long-term response to hunger and devote part of their activities to reducing the need for food assistance.
- Represent accurately, honestly and completely their respective mission and activities to the larger community.
Board of Directors:
Lori Brading – Chair
Don Burt – Past Chair
Bruce Sutton - Treasurer
Lorraine Hardie – Secretary
Donna Baker – Food Director/Volunteer Director
Dave Reimanis – Facilities Director
Martha Clipperton - School /Community Coordinator
Jacqui Gomez - Media/Marketing/Events
Geoff Bassett - Director At Large
Robert DeLaat - Director At Large